HomeTutorialsThe ShopMy Home

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Inspired Typewriter Key Art


Hello Everyone
Here is another inspired Pottery Barn idea that I have seen many on many blogs but I have decided differently than most ideas I have seen.

Here is the typewriter key art that Pottery Barn offered for sale a couple years ago for $329....yes you see that right, $329! Yes I love me so Pottery Barn but sometimes their prices are a little crazy!

I have seen a few tutorials here, here and here. I think most people painted the black circles on a board, then stencil or free hand the letters. Ehhhh I am not the most precise painter, I mean I can paint a wall or any large area great but when it comes to painting a small piece forget about it. So I brainstormed and came up with a new plan. I bought this wood burning tool a few months ago for transferring laser printed images onto fabric and I knew it would be perfect for this project! (By the way if you haven't used one of these tools, they are awesome!).

I bought a 2' x 2' board at Lowe's for around six dollars and some 8' furring strips for around one dollar each. I divided the board into 24 2" squares and I scored the lines with the edge of my flat head screw driver. 

I downloaded a free typewriter font and printed out the entire alphabet and numbers 0-9. I cut the prints into squares and started to transfer the letters one by one which took a while but I like that the transferred image isn't perfect and looks sort of antiqued. I did something special with my letters than I haven't seen before! I decided since our last name starts with a G and I printed the letter G out in a dark green so it would stand out! (My dog Pip wanted to help apparently)

After I transferred all the images onto the board I used a acrylic stain which now looking back I wished I would have used a lighter stain but oh well I still like it! (Sorry I don't have pictures of the staining)

I added the furring strips around the board and painted them an antique black. Here is what it looks now and I still have to do a spray it with a sealant.
It's not perfect but I like it!

Thanks for stopping by!
Jessica

No comments: