HomeTutorialsThe ShopMy Home

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Inspired Cube Console Table













Hello Everyone!
We have a long, narrow mudroom/breezeway that connects our house to our garage and we realized it was built years later after our home & garage were originally built in 1951. It is great for storing our shoes, coats and winter gear but it is almost too big! I love it but I wish I could subtract some of the square footage and add it to our home!

Any who, since we been neglecting this room a little bit with updates (ahem the GORGEOUS red outdoor carpet that is tacked down with super glue I swear), I have been trying to make it a little cuter with decorating it since this is usually the first room our friends and family see when they enter our home (instead of using the front door which goes enters directly into our living room). I wanted a long cubby console type piece but I didn't want to spend too much $$$. I had a bought one of these guys about two years ago and it couldn't figure out what to do with it so it just sat there in our mud room/breezeway.
ClosetMaid Cubeicals® 9 Cube Organizer Espresso.Opens in a new window
Source: Target

I know Pottery Barn sells a similar cube bookcase but for $419......seriously?! I love Pottery Barn & most everything they do but hello these two are soooo similar! Yes, Pottery Barn's is solid wood but even if I built my own I would cost me way less than $419!!
Bedford 3 x 3 Bookcase
Source: www.potterybarn.com
So another year passed of our boring little cube bookcase and I finally had an idea! I bought another cube bookcase but instead I bought the 6 cube version. The bookcases were both black but that was fine since I was going to paint it to give it a little personality! Here is how it looks today:
I bought a board at Lowe's for the base, along with four bun feet to raise it up off the ground. I also attached to boards to the top which I stained a dark walnut. I then attached some MDF beadboard to the back and painted the whole thing Natural Canvas by Benjamin Moore. As my husband knows I can't leave anything pretty and perfectly painted so I went crazy sanding and lightly stain the whole thing to give it character :).

I loveee changing the decor on it for the different holidays too! Here it is in the past Fall/Halloween season:


















I also made the shelves above the cubby bookcase and you can see in the picture above I hadn't gotten to painting the smaller bookcase's corbels.

The dog food bin I made from using an old Christmas popcorn tin and spray painted white. I then applied the "Dog Food" decals.

Here is a few more pictures of our breezeway/mud room:
We are hoping one day to get rid the lovely red outdoor carpeting and replace it with this:

Cork flooring! Some day!
Eventually I will blog about my building of the bench in the breezeway/mudroom!
Thanks for stopping by!
Jessica

1 comment:

P!nky said...

What a fun shelf! looks great!