HomeTutorialsThe ShopMy Home

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Inspired Sisal Rope Mirror


Hello everyone!

I finished a project recently that I thought I would share with you. If you haven't already noticed I love anything nautical themed and the last few years any home decor involving rope has been pretty popular.  I love using twine or sisal rope to wrap an inexpensive vase or recently a lampshade. I have seen a lot of mirrors using a rope frame and I love them all but obviously they are a little expensive. Here a few I have seen and loved:


Bixby & Ball - $330


 
Pottery Barn - $395.....ouch!

My husband is an electrician and usually has many wood cable spools left over from projects and I have made sure that he gives them to me when he is done. Right now I just have three different sized wood spools because a lot of them are just plastic and I don't think I would use them. The large spool I am going to make an oversized clock, but I had a small one about 18" in diameter and I had some left over 1/4" sisal rope so I decided to make my own rope mirror.

I had stained the wood spool top before but didn't like how it turned out so I used that side to start hot gluing my sisal rope around the center.

Notice our smallest dog's little feet at the top left, somehow he always makes a little appearance in my pictures!

I kept hot gluing the rope down around the previous row and even wrapped the sides in rope.
I had a beveled craft mirror that I had bought from Hobby Lobby a while ago for around two dollars and I decided it could work for the center of the rope spool top. I glued the mirror in the center using an all purpose craft glue, stacked a few books on top of the mirror and let it set overnight.

I attached some hanging hardware to the back and hung it up in our hallway. It may not be as large or perfect as the other mirrors but I am happy with it....plus it cost me $0! Even better!

Thanks for stopping by!
Jessica


2 comments:

Antonia said...

I saw this via Pinterest and really love it!

The Inspired Girl said...

Thanks Antonia!!